Sunday, January 09, 2011

December decline

Josh here-

I've been having some interesting times the past few weeks. As a church musician, December is a hectic time of year with rehearsals, performances, concerts, services, extra musicians, singers, lost music, no-shows, busy volunteers, etc. Put a full-time handyman job on top of that (with customers who want their jobs completed before Christmas), a large family on top of that, and give it to a naturally lazy and selfish guy like myself, and it's a recipe for disaster.

I usually get rather stressed and short-tempered during this season, and therefore sin also creeps into my life more so than usual. It's my goal to be in the Word of God every single day, but I usually miss a couple days each month, with December being one of the worst ones. That's such a shame, because that should be one of the best times of year for a Christian. Of course there are worse sins than that I've committed, but I'm glad to report that I have an accountibility partner who will hear me confess these sins tomorrow morning at 7:45 in addition to the confession I made to God this morning during communion at church. (We Protestants could learn a thing or two from the Catholics in this area).

For years I've wanted another man to 'sharpen iron' with, and a few months ago I was dopeslapped into realizing the perfect person for the job was already there. I came up with a list of questions in areas for which I wanted to be held accountable, and so each week he asks me those painful questions.
I'm pleased to report that in a couple areas progress has been good, but in some areas the progress is neglegable. My "December decline" this year was not as bad as it has been in years past, and I've certainly had more joy in my life, but growth takes time, and the important thing is that I've begun the hard process of "confessing your sins to one another." It's great to have a good brother to help me in my moral struggles.

Perhaps the best thing is the realization that no matter how bad my sin, God has enough love to forgive it. His mercy is everlasting, and even though my guilt tends to drive me away from God, He still pursues me in love. When I repent, that glorious newly-washed, lovely feeling pours over me and I marvel that I didn't repent earlier, or even why I sinned in the first place.

In our Family Bible Time, we're reading in Nehemiah about how Ezra read the Book of the Law to the people, who then began weeping. The next chapter tells of their repentance, then of their joy, then of their renewal of the promises to follow God. What a perfect example of how we in our daily lives should behave. Read the Word; Weep over our sinfulness; Repent; Rejoice in our forgiveness; Renew our covenant.

I hope that you who read this do this regularly. If you're not a Christian, (or worse, think that you are a Christian but don't live it), then I would strongly encourage you to dive deep into the Bible and "make your calling and election sure" (2 Pet. 1:10) and to "examine yourself to see if you are in the faith" (2 Cor. 13:5). Our sin not only makes us feel guilty, but it carries a punishment as well, and it only takes one little sin to send us to Hell. But God is loving, and will forgive us if we repent.
Get yourself a Godly friend with whom you can confess your sins (it doesn't have to be mutual - my buddy has his own accountability partner), and be brutally honest with them and with God. Accept His forgiveness, and as receive the "joy of salvation" from the Lord.
God Bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! We love hearing from you! Please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please sign your name as we will not reply to anonymous comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...