Monday, November 01, 2010

Josh here,

Just finished my morning Bible reading, and was amused to note that the Scripture I used from memory last night for our family Bible time came from the same passage (Romans 12). Last night I quoted, "Do not be conformed to the image of this world, but be transformed by the continual renewing of your mind..." (NIV, with an extra word added). We took two weeks off school while family was visiting, so last night was a pep talk designed to get us in the right frame of mind - to buckle down and get back to work, and to mentally prepare ourselves for the tasksthat lay before us.
The only problem is that they will probably need that reminder again this morning. And again a little later on. And again. And again, until it's so ingrained into their heads that they no longer need frequent reminders, but only occasional ones.
I rather like to make startling comments that on the surface seem harsh or crazy, and then explain what I really meant by what I just said. Sometimes that gets me into trouble with those who are easily offended, but here's one of those phrases: We don't need to read any more Bible. Personally, I already know enough of the Bible to keep me going for the rest of my life. What I need is to live out what I already know, and once I master that, THEN I can read some more. In other words, we must be doers of the Word, and not hearers only. My problem is not that I haven't heard - (Indeed, I've read it straight through several times), my problem is that I don't do everything I've heard yet. I need continual reminders to do what I have read, hence the pep talk last night, and that's why our family verse is Heb. 10:24, "Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds." We all need to keep reminding each other of how we are to live.
One problem is that we have fallen prey to political correctness and this silly idea that we must never offend one another. 'Hogwash' I say! We've adopted that idea, and yet society is now more offended by everyone else than ever. The Word commands us to 'rebuke one another in love' and that means we must risk offending them. We are to speak the Truth with love and tact, and we've heard the phrase, "truth hurts." It's true.
A very wise man once told me what he believed to be one of the signs of spiritual maturity: "The inability to get, or to remain offended." Wow - the inability to get offended. Can you imagine such a person? Wouldn't you love to know that person? Think of the opposite kind of person - one who gets offended at everything. We all try and avoid people like that. What about you? Are you easily offended? How would you know? Others see your blind spots more than you can, maybe you should ask others. After all, our family verse is all about that. One tip though - people don't want to offend you by telling you you're easily offended - you may have to drag it out of them, but a good friend will tell you where your problems are. Your spouse knows you best, and will probably be only too happy to let you know your weaknesses!
Anyway, I'd better get on with the day. I don't want to make this post so long that it offends anyone. (yuk yuk!) God Bless you all.
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! We love hearing from you! Please keep your comments clean and God-honoring, and please sign your name as we will not reply to anonymous comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...